However much time and money you spend looking good there are always those days when you need to dress in a hurry and in a simple way. Sometimes you’re not really sure what to wear and don’t have it in you to make a decision! This is when you need to fall back on your wardrobe essentials – those few items that always look good and you’re happy to wear, and go with anything. We've chosen our top five items to help you to collect your own essential fall-back pieces.
1. A Basic White Top Long- sleeved and with a round or V neck. Long line, in classic cotton fabric, with elastin for a stretch feel. This will go with any other colour and outfit; with jeans or leggings and under a jacket, work wear under a suit or with a skirt and cardigan.
2. A Pair of Smart Black Trousers Well- fitting and in a fabric which doesn't crease and is easy to wash and wear. For work add a black or maybe a strong coloured jacket or blazer. Add high heels and bag to match you’re ready for a great night out. Smart black trousers are ideal for interviews when you’re not too sure how smart you need to be. With a jacket and nice top you’ll look great.
3. A Little Black Dress Or an easy to wear dress that you know you look good in. A mid-length skirt is the most versatile and the easiest to dress up or down. A dress like this won’t date and looks good with heels or ballet pumps. Team with a shrug or sparkly shawl for evenings or with an over-sized shirt for casual dates.
4. Over-Sized Shirt A key item for summer 2016 a shirt in a plain neutral colour can be worn over jeans or shorts with a tee shirt or as a light jacket over summer dresses and beachwear. For hot summer days and chilly evenings your shirt will be invaluable.
5. Finally A pair of mid-block heeled shoes – sometimes you need to give your feet a break with a pair of comfy shoes, which you can slip on at the last minute! Choose a stable two inch heel which is kinder to your back than flat pumps. Roundish toes and a dark or neutral colour which will look good with all your outfits and for any season will look good with tights or bare leg.
Keep your wardrobe essentials in good condition and well pressed and mended. Replace as they get shabby and in this way you’ll never be in a last minute panic over what to wear.